Wednesday, October 9, 2013

That's the way the toilet flushes...

So my only disappointment with this trip is watching the toilets flush. For years, I've been told that toilets in the southern hemisphere flush in the opposite direction. Well, I was all ready to video record a toilet flushing when I got here. Unfortunately, the toilets don't flush in any direction. They flush straight down. Oh well. I traveled around the world to answer this one pressing question and now the madness will continue. I was also able to start a fire in our furnace...consistently. This was a monumental occasion as the anatomy of the furnaces here require kerosene or charcoal, neither of which I have. However, I have learned that obscenely large amounts of dry grass acts as kerosene. Who knew? Our living room looks like a stable, but at least it's warm. On a more serious note, we had a couple of small premies admitted to nursery last night. One of them was a 28 weeker weighing in at a whopping 850 grams. We had the necessary surfactant to save the baby's lungs. I think the baby has a really good chance. Fortunately, we have already broken out the TPN (IV nutrition, very $$$) for our TEF baby, so we can spare 10cc/day and start this baby on trophic (trickle) feeds to reduce the chance of NEC (really bad gut death thing). Sarahbeth tells me my posts are too medical, so I'm trying to make it easier to read. I continue to be amazed at the need for a neonatologist here. I think each person's calling is unique. Is the need here more desperate than anywhere else? Certainly not. However, I have always felt that teaching was part of my calling, and it is an awesome opportunity to equip others to reach children in the far reaches of Kenya and Africa. Every one of the people I talk to here has a different reason for coming. I don't think there is a unifying idea or theology that one must subscribe to in order to minister in a particular setting. It's simply a individual and unique calling that each person has. Sarahbeth and I have become more and more settled and comfortable with this idea during our time here. It's easy to compare and contrast, to scale, and to stratify calling to calling. The truth is that the master said the exact same thing to the man who invested 5 talents as he did to the man who had invested 10. Somehow, you can't quantify the kingdom of God. One physician's calling is no more or less than the next. What He wants from us more than anything is a willing, obedient and faithful heart. This is the beauty of the body of Christ. Well, we are going on Safari this weekend! We plan to drive through a place called crescent island where we will be able to do a real walk about with the giraffes and zebras. Then, it's off to Nakuru Saturday night to stay at a guest house. We will go into the park at sunrise and hopefully see some great animals. The last couple that went saw 20+ lions! We'll take some great pictures for you!! - Bryan

1 comment:

  1. Meaningful insights. We appreciate you sharing the issues of the heart. Also, love the medical stuff from both of you as it helps us to learn. Have fun on your safari and don't get eaten by the lions! Love you guys. Mom K

    ReplyDelete