Friday, October 18, 2013

Goodbye and Hello

This will be my last post about our trip. It's crazy how fast the month has gone bye in one sense, and yet in another sense it feels like we've been in Africa much longer. I'm anticipating the ,"how was your trip?" Question from many people coming soon, and I'm not quite sure what to say. How do you wrap wonderful/life changing/sad/huge learning experience/greatest challenge/blessing/awesome/grievous into one simple sentence? I don't know.
Our final day was a great representation of all these emotions colliding. We had agreed to round early so that we could be present for all of rounds, facilitating a smooth transition of care to the attendings who would be taking over in both the nursery and on the ward. However, just about a minute after I walked into the hospital Thursday morning, I got a call from one of the interns "Dr. Sarah, it's Samantha. You need to rush." That only means one thing at Kijabe. I was on the ward about ten seconds later, finding one of the patients I've been looking after in cardiac arrest (not breathing, no pulse). My interns had already started chest compressions. Her IV had blown and wasn't working for us to give epinephrine, so we prepared to intubate and give it down a breathing tube. Several minutes and two doses of epinephrine went by and still we had no pulse. One of the pediatricians I was working with came and was able to place an intraosseous line (an IV that goes straight into the bone marrow which has great blood supply). We gave more epinephrine through that line, but still no heartbeat. We gave another drug, atropine, and finally got a heart beat again. It was a miracle. We were able to change the beds around in the ICU so as to get her a spot and moved her there for mechanical ventilation and blood pressure support. Then, our medical interns and the pediatrician missionaries surprised us with a going away party! It was supposed to be at 830 (they fooled us by asking for early rounds) but anyone in medicine knows that plans can change in a moment. So we all took a seat around 1030 when they gave us a traditional African goodbye party, with everyone going around and saying a way that thy had been blessed by us being there. We decompressed and celebrated simultaneously.  Bryan and I agreed that it was one of the nicest things we had ever experienced in our married years. It was really humbling. Apparently, I am strict but funny. I force people to follow up on their patients and I can talk about the same patient for more than forty minutes as i dissect their problems by body system (this is so normal to me but they thought it was crazy!) I also know way too much pediatrics (my how wrong that is!) and help people think outside the box about what could be wrong. Bryan, on the other hand, sweats a lot while working they say! He is "loud like all Americans" but he really cares about finding what's wrong with his babies. He is strict, like me, and the team he worked with laughed as they said his first words in the morning were always "Ok, let's get started," so they knew they needed to be ready. (It reflects a little bit of a culture difference because there is a much more relaxed pace in Africa... Rarely is there hurry). We assured them we had learned as much or more from them. They've taught us to stress less, look at patients Instead of labs and to value relationships even when there is a lot of potential to just stress and "get the job done" because lives are on the line. We've learned to be quicker to pray for people and to trust Gods hand because ours are more tangibly limited. I could go on and on and on. 
We met one of the moms of a mutual patient of ours (I admitted her premature baby from clinic with severe sepsis at 1 month of life and Bryan took over her are in the hospital). She asked us to come see her baby before we left and say a prayer of thanksgiving with her because of the baby's improvement (truly a miracle that the baby lived). We went with her and I took a picture of her with the baby and Bryan. "You gave me hope" she told us. "God told me to bring my baby to Kijabe." It was a huge encouragement, as our hearts were still heavy from the morning. We have seen so many kids not make it this month, but we have also seen so many miraculous recoveries. It's good to be reminded of them.
We had to hurry to turn in phones and grab our bags afterward. And ever since we've been journeying toward Greenville. 
There is no question that I already miss Africa. I never expected that. In fact, I may have told some of you in the past that I didn't feel called somewhere like that, so far away. For sure I knew that I felt no calling to a career in academic medicine. God has a way of changing things, doesn't he? Im pretty sure ive already said this. Im bad about repeating myself. Bryan and I feel like our job there has just begun, and its easy to want to be frustrated by leaving. I don't want to be that way though. I think that while God has given us a huge love and vision for Africa, he's also clearly assigned us somewhere else for now.
Back to life as we knew it, but I believe it will be different. I'm excited about all that I have yet to learn. I'm excited about becoming a better teacher. I'm excited to complete my assignment to be a resident who glorifies God in all aspects and pray for the power of the Spirit to finish well. I'm excited to see Sarge and to ride my bike. I'm excited to see all of you and give you a hug! 
Words can't say enough thank-yous for all of the prayers and support you have given over the past four weeks. They have been heard and we have been abundantly blessed as we've sought to be a blessing.
The journey has just begun! Goodbye to Africa but hello to home. We think we will keep the blog so folks who so desire can keep up with us. Stay tuned.
SB

No comments:

Post a Comment